Tuesday, May 20, 2008

One soy turtle latte, a baby sling, a soccer ball and three dog bones

"Hold my juice, Mom. I need to get some doggie treats."

This is my three-year-old, Akeem. We had just dropped off big sister at school and managed to drive ten blocks, park the car, a get all three of us, my two boys and myself, into the coffee shop. Baby in sling, soccer ball tucked under Keem's right arm, I am in pursuit of the morning latte.

"Akeem, wait for mama," says Mary. "She needs her soy."

Mary, bless her, is the lovely owner of Audubon Coffee, a just-the-right-size, kid-friendly, wireless, art-infused coffee oasis on Johnson Stree NE and 28th Avenue in Northeast Minneapolis. And of course, she is accomodating not only of moms and babies and wireless internet scavengers, but she is also equipped with a stash of treats for the dogs in the 'hood. More importantly, the stash sits on a table just high enough to keep the dogs out of it, and just low enough to allow curious three-year-olds to rummage the contents.

"We don't need any doggie treats, Keem," I say to my son. "There are no dogs here today."
"But, Mom, I'm just gonna hold it." He looks up at me as I get ready to go out the door.
"Okay, just one," I say, heading out, a large soy turtle latte in hand. I prop the door open for him and notice he has three, stacked neatly in his tight fist. I smile.
"How are you going to carry your soccer ball, with the dog treats in your hand?" I ask. I can see him working through this, looking first at the treats, and then at the soccer ball that I am holding.
He replies, "Here, Mom. You can hold them."
I start to phrase my rebuttal, and then I decide to cut him a break. What's the harm in a couple of dog snacks, right?
"Okay, guess what? I have a pocket in the sling, and we can put the doggie treats in there."
"A pocket in the sling?" he says. I don't think he quite believes me. He watches as I flip over the end of the wrap to reveal a small zipper pocket. I slip the treats in and zip it up. Magic.
"There," I say. "All done."
Keem smiles, clearly satisfied.


I have been enjoying my boys lately. Leila too. But the particular stress I was feeling from managing the needs of the three-year-old and the ten-month-old has seemed to dissipate. I think I all of a sudden realized that there really was no need to rush through the day. I mean, what are we rushing for? If we don't enjoy the process, there really isn't a point. And whatever huge accomplishment we are seeking, in the end, doesn't seem so grand if we haven't enjoyed the path that lead to it. I have spent less time lately trying to be present, and just being present. I am finding that the path is the accomplishment. That how I navigate through life is what matters.

1 comment:

adimica the beautiful said...

Funny, beautiful, and inspiring. I should take your advice.